These two dynamic biomorphic sculptures with pitted textures were previously owned by Sir Terence Conran (1931 – 2020). Conran, an inimitable design pioneer and businessman, “did more than anyone to enhance material life in Britain during the second half of the 20th century”, according to The Guardian. These sculptures were on display at Quaglino’s restaurant, one of Conran’s major projects. Quaglino’s was reopened in 1993 and ‘conclusively reshaped the British restaurant scene’. According to rumour, table reservations were traded on the stock exchange, and ashtrays were under constant threat of being stolen. The sculptures are lithic in character and bearing a coarse-grained patina. They can be appreciated in-the-round but also responds to viewing in the frontal plane and could function either as a centrepiece or positioned laterally on a shelf. They come in good vintage condition.
H14 W49 D11cm
Not available for hire.