Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was a Scottish architect who created a distinctly original design style that was both lyrical and sleekly modern. Within his architectural schemes for schools, private homes and restaurants, Mackintosh frequently worked in collaboration with his wife, the artist Margaret Macdonald. Together they invented an aesthetic that blended the organic flow of the Art Nouveau style and the honest simplicity of the English Arts & Crafts movement.
This revolving bookcase was designed in 1904 for Hous’hill, a house at Nitshill in Glasgow. It is Mackintosh’s only revolving bookcase and was destined for the drawing room. The design is based on an organic principle, with the vertical divisions representing the boughs and branches of a tree which multiply at each shelf, ending in little painted squares which suggest blossom or leaves.
We believe that this example is a later reproduction by the Italian manufacturer Cassina in the 70’s made in small numbers. This piece is presented in original condition with losses to the paint, indentations to the wood and one glass insert to the top missing. We can fully restore it upon request.
H134 D46 L46cm