This substantially proportioned abstract plaster sculpture has the organic quality of a sea-washed stone. It stands with a stately firmness on the floor and carries a resounding visual weight. It was previously owned by Sir Terence Conran (1931 – 2020). Conran, an inimitable design pioneer and businessman, “did more than anyone to enhance material life in Britain during the second half of the 20th century”, according to The Guardian. These sculptures were on display at Quaglino’s restaurant, one of Conran’s major projects. Quaglino’s was reopened in 1993 and ‘conclusively reshaped the British restaurant scene’. According to rumour, table reservations were traded on the stock exchange, and ashtrays were under constant threat of being stolen.
The sculpture bears the monogram ‘U’, but the authorship is currently uncertain. It comes in good vintage condition, with some minor surface marks.
W65 H96 D20 cm